September 11, 2001. - We were so naive. In many ways we still are. Here is my 9-11 story.
I was the Director of the Civil Patrol Unit of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department. Our scope of enforcement had been increased just a couple of months before. We were the ones that cited folks for using accessible parking without a permit, parking in fire lanes, etc..... I was considered a Peace Officer.
What most folks don’t realize that the World Trade Centers were monitored by units from all over America on a rotating basis. That week it was CMPD’s turn. My Sargent was to lead the group. I had been briefed that I would need to go to Chief Darrel Stephens if anything serious happened that I needed help with.
I was at the courthouse. The news flashed on a screen. It was unbelievable. My assumption was that our group was in NYC and that I needed to report to the Chief, which I did. Suddenly my unit was vitally important. Everyone was called on to do patrolling and report any vehicles that were illegally parked - the thinking was that car bombs or other terrorism threats. There was no layer of protection between fire lanes or accessible parking for any building.
The national command center was set up in warp speed next to my office. Nobody knew that and we weren’t to tell anyone. I had top level clearance so I was right in the thick of it. My unit worked to get suspicious vehicles towed and isolated. As the days wore on orange cones were put up to keep cars away from important buildings. As the months went by cement barriers were placed so that vehicles could not park right next to the door of vital buildings. It would take a year or two to change the landscape and our rethinking of security.
It may sound simple or not important, but it was. Later, we received a commendation from President Bush. Every officer on duty and every patrol unit member who took part received a 9/11 duty medal.
Our team had been late getting to the towers and were spared. They were back home in Charlotte by Thursday. Safe. We were thankful, so very thankful.
Security became a priority. We had focus groups and high level discussions that changed things. Most of these measures are still in place and has actually become a part of the fabric of normalcy. Yet we are still very vulnerable. Covid is a worse attack. Perhaps it wasn’t intentional as 9/11 surely was. Later I stood at Ground Zero. The souls of those lost could be felt, the view of destruction was sobering. We said “Never again”. We also said “United we Stand, Divided we Fall”. We’ve forgotten that lesson.
Prayers for the survivors, family and everyone involved that terrible day. We must continue telling the stories so that we don’t forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment